Tuesday 29 January 2013

Bengali Style Pineapple (Annarser) Chutney

My love affair with Bengali food began recently about 10 months back when I was introduced to the authentic version in Calcutta. From street foods to the classic Bengali meal (Bhojohori Manna), and the REAL Bengali sweets: rossogulla, shandesh etc, the love affair has just kept growing.

Today, I tried my hand for the first time at a small but an essential part of the traditional Bengali meal: the chutney ('chaatni'). I made a pineapple chutney borrowing the recipe online, ofcourse with my own twist on it! 

Annarser (Pineapple) Chutney

Ingredients

1/4th large pineapple chopped
2 tsps oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4th inch ginger chopped
2 bay leaves
1 cup water
4 tbsps sugar

Method

In a pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds to crackle. After the mustard seeds crackle add in the ginger and the bay leaves. Add in the chopped pineapple and sautee a bit.


Pineapples being sauteed in the tadka

Now add the water and the sugar and stir and cook till the chutney thickens.


Cool and serve. In a traditional Bengali meal, a course is papad served with chutney. 



The chutney


The chutney up close

The next time I am going to try and chop the pineapples a bit finer and make the chutney a little more syrupy. Though it turned a little bit dryish than what I have seen, the taste was brilliant! 


No comments:

Post a Comment