Tuesday 11 February 2014

Oats Upma Recipe

Nowadays oats have become a cupboard staple in Indian homes. This trend includes me too - I always have a packet of oats at home for making quick and healthy breakfasts.

Oats: The New Cupboard Staple

Many people have heard of oats, their health benefits and have gone ahead and bought it into their homes. This has led to a frequently asked question on food forums that I am a part of - "What are some good recipes for oats?" 

Oats Upma

I am still discovering new recipes and ways in which to use oats in our Indian kitchens. 

Oats Upma

I have been thinking of making oats upma for quite some time now, but every time I think of upma, I think of the classic rawa (semolina) upma or masala upma, so this recipe has been on the back burner for quite some time. I woke up today morning thinking of the same classic upma, but plans changed when I found there was no rawa at home... and that is the story of how I finally tried my hand at making oats upma!


Oats Upma Finally!

Oats Upma Up Close


Oats Upma Recipe


Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Cooking Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients:

2 tbsps oil (peanut or olive)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2/ tsp asafoetida 
10-15 curry leaves
2 green chillies cut into 3-4 pieces
1 1/2 tbsp udad dal
2 medium onions finely chopped
1 cup oats
1 1/2 -2 cups hot water
Salt to taste

Lemon wedges and corriander leaves to garnish and serve

Method

Heat oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds and when they start to crackle add in the asafoetida, the curry leaves and the green chillies.

Lower the flame to medium high and add in the udad dal. Fry till it turns reddish brown. 

Now add in the chopped onions and saute till they turn translucent.

Next go in the oats. Keeping the flame medium high, roast the oats in the prepared tempering till they turn reddish and let off a nutty aroma.

Pour in the hot water till it covers the oats. Add in the salt too. Turn the flame to high and cook for about 3 minutes till the oats cook and the water evaporates.

Serve hot with a dash of lemon juice and some corriander leaves! 


3 comments:

  1. Lovely Presentation.Wanted to grab it right away for breakfast.

    -Nithyascorner
    http://nithyascorner.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nithya! Hope you do make it at home and grab it soon!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Nasreen for dropping by! I am glad to hear you enjoyed the recipe and the information... hope you 'll try it and let me know how you find it!

    ReplyDelete