Wednesday 9 December 2015

Palak Paneer Recipe

So I hear winter is here. Not in Mumbai where it's still hot in the afternoons (come on weather, it's December!) But I see across India temperatures are mellowing. And I am seeing fresher greens in the market (my favourite part of winter!) so I have hope. 

Palak Paneer Recipe
Greens like the ones I see in the market are to be celebrated. And I do. I love these leafy vegetables so much that I get them home at least twice a week and make different versions of them. You'll hear more about these treats I make as we go.

Palak Paneer Recipe
Palak paneer is the qunitessential Indian spinach dish. Ask anyone to name an Indian dish with spinach in it and palak paneer will be in the top 3 (if not the top). And why not? This dish has soft cottage cheese cooked in a creamy, flavourful spinach gravy. Who can resist that? Here's my recipe of palak paneer for all you lovely people reading this.

Palak Paneer Recipe

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients:

30-35 spinach leaves separated from the stalk
5 cups water
2 tbsps oil
1 tbsp garlic paste
1/2 tbsp ginger paste
1 medium onion choppped
1 medium sized tomato
2 green chillies
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
200 grams paneer cut into 1 inch peices
2 tbsps cream
Salt to taste

Method

Bring the water to a boil. When it's done, dip the spinach leaves in it for about 2 minutes. Remove and run them under cold water. 

Blend these in a mixer with the tomato and green chillies.

Heat oil in a pan. Add in the ginger and the garlic paste. Fry for 30 seconds.

Add in the onions and saute till they turn pink.

Now add the spinach puree, garam masala and salt and cook for 2 minutes on a low flame.

Add in the paneer and cream and mix well. Keep for a minute.

Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment