Tuesday 17 September 2013

Easy Peasy Spaghetti

I love mid-week holidays, like the one I had today. They are more fun when I have the right ingredients in my refrigerator to cook up a storm! Today, was one such great day. I had some fresh Italian basil in my refrigerator and I managed to use it up in a few dishes. I will be posting all the recipes soon!

The first recipe I cooked again was the Easy Peasy Spaghetti. I have always liked the flavour of garlic, fresh Italian basil and olive oil together; I have used it in the Italian Style Tomato and Mozzarella Cheese Salad as a fantastic dressing. So I thought, why not use it to make a very basic pasta. I chose spaghetti simply because I like how you can eat it by twirling it all around the fork! The dish got great reviews, and it became one of my favourites to cook too. The best part about this dish, apart from its easy recipe, is that it tastes great when cold too and can make for a very good tiffin recipe for kids. 


Easy Peasy Spaghetti

Easy Peasy Spaghetti

Ingredients

100 grams spaghetti 
3-4 tbsps olive oil
10 cloves of garlic finely chopped
7-8 leaves of fresh Italian basil finely chooped
Salt to taste

Method

Cook the spaghetti as per the instructions on the packet. These vary for different brands so you can rely on the packet instructions as your best guideline. Drain the water and keep aside.

Heat the olive oil. Add in the garlic and fry till they turn reddish brown. Now add the cooked spaghetti and the salt and mix well. Lastly, add in the basil leaves, turn off the heat and mix them in.

Serve hot with a drizzle of olive oil in traditional Italian style!



Easy to cook and full of flavour!

P.S: Italian basil has a sharp flavour when raw but it turns sweeter on cooking. So add it last to the dish and turn off the heat immediately after adding the basil. The basil will lose some of its raw sharpness in the heat that remains in the dish, but will not become too sweet such that it will not go well with the garlic. 



4 comments:

  1. wow this is definitely easy, I have seen another version by donna hay which used bread crumbs and sun dried tomatoes...

    http://thelearningcookblogs.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for dropping by! :-) I am sure the one with the sun-dried tomatoes tastes great! Do try this and let me know how you find it!

    ReplyDelete