Wednesday 18 September 2013

Tomato and Basil Soup

I was watching a food travel show focussed on Italy and on it I heard a celebrated Italian chef call tomato, basil and garlic the 'Holy Trinity' of Italian cooking. Since I love Italian cooking so much, I wondered what can I do to combine these flavours? I thought of making it into a soup, and tried it for the first time today. Now I know why tomato, basil and garlic are called the 'Holy Trinity' of Italian cooking. They make for such a great combination!


Tomato and Basil Soup served hot!


Tomato and Basil Soup

Ingredients

2 tbsps olive oil
8-10 cloves of garlic chopped
5 medium tomatoes diced
2 cups water
4-5 leaves of fresh Italian basil finely chopped
Salt to taste

Method

In a pan heat the oil. Add the chopped garlic and saute till it turns golden brown. To the garlic, add the diced tomatoes and cook till they soften a little and release their juices.

Add in water and salt to the tomatoes and cover and cook till the tomatoes cook through. Blend this cooked mixture in a mixer or food processor till it forms a puree. Strain to get your soup.

Bring the strained mixture to a boil, turn off the heat and then add in the Italian basil.

Serve hot with some croutons or just as it is!



4 comments:

  1. Nice and easy! Do you think a little pepper seasoning might work? Or would it be too spicy? Shall try it over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to keep the flavour of only the basil and I felt pepper would overpower it... you can always try the pepper and let me know how it goes with the dish! :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! It is really yummy! Do LIKE my facebook page using the button on the right hand side of the blog page for more such updates!

      Delete