Monday 16 September 2013

Tadkewaale Dahi Chaawal

 You know how some dishes are so regular and frequently made in your home that you take them for granted. And then you are talking to someone from a different background, and you realise that they have never even heard of it. This happens very often in schools, where I remember, I used to eat the sambhar rice my friend used to get in her tiffins with such relish, whereas she used to enjoy the 'new' Gujarati dishes my mum used to pack in my tiffin.

I was just having a chat with my neighbour who is a Punjabi when I realised that this dish, tadkewaale dahi chaawal, that is so common in Maharashtrian and South Indian kitchens, was almost unheard of for her. I love this dish, because it's quick and perfect for a meal after a long and tiring day when I don't feel like cooking. I have had a long day of internship today, so I turned to this simple dish for refuge. I remembered the conversation I just had with bhabhi, and I thought I should share this recipe!

Tadkewaale Dahi Chaawal

Ingredients

1 cup cooked rice
5 tbsps of yoghurt
Salt to taste

For tempering

2 tbsps oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
10 curry leaves
1 dried red chilly

Method

Mash together the rice,  yoghurt and salt to form a creamy mixture.

Heat the oil in a tempering vessel. Add in the mustard seeds and the cumin seeds. When they begin to crackle, add in the curry leaves and the dried red chilly. Fry the tempering for about 30 seconds. Pour on the rice and yoghurt mixture.

Mix the tempering in and enjoy!


Tadkewaale Dahi Chaawal


Tip 1: You can add white udad dal to the tempering and let it fry a little till it turns reddish brown. Then pour this on the rice yoghurt mixture. It adds a lovely crunch and flavour to the dish.

Tip 2: This dish is fantastic for the hot summers and best had when chilled. Make it about half an hour before serving. After mixing in the tempering, cool in the refrigerator for that time.

Tip 3 (from a loved one): You can also add white seasame seeds to the tempering for a great flavour. It has been tried and tested, and I will try it too now! 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome... easy and quick to make... can make it with stale rice too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And oh so tasty! It's like the ultimate summer comfort food! Thank you for your seasame seeds tip! :-)

      Delete